About Salvador Dali Skateboard Triptych – Musart on Decks – Gala Contemplating The Mediterranean Sea (1976)
Part of Musart Boutique’s original collection Musart on Decks comes this exclusive limited edition of 100 Salvador Dali Skateboard Triptych features his iconic work Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea which at Twenty Meters Becomes the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln (Homage to Rothko) made in 1976. This explicit and long title provides a perfect description of the original painting (oil and collage on canvas). Standing close, we see the Spaniard Surrealist artist, Salvador Dalí’s wife Gala with her back turned to us, looking toward the rising sun over the Mediterranean Sea. Represented with a heavy impasto application, Dalí depicts a vision of Christ crucified ascending into heaven seen from above (Christ’s head is the glowing sun). When we stand further back, we see that the area of the sky, behind Gala’s figure, is in the shape of a cross. As the title suggests, if we stand further back (twenty meters away) we see that the shapes and small color fields around Gala and the background of the artwork turn into a Portrait of Abraham Lincoln. As the title suggests, Dalí made this work as a homage to the Leading Abstract Expressionist artist Mark Rothko, who began to explore to surrealism at the beginning stages of his career. Rothko abandoned figurative art for color-field, value relationships, and basic geometric shapes, as an exploration of the sublime, immersive experience of an artwork. Dali’s multiple blocks of colors in the varying progression of hues ending in a dark perimeter is evocative of the meditative color fields found in Rothko’s works. Scholars interrelate the references to Gala’s beauty, the Crucified image of Christ, the portrait of the assassinated American president Abraham Lincoln and the homage to Mark Rothko (who committed suicide) as a reflection on life, beauty, art, and mortality. More details on Salvador Dali Skateboard Triptych – Musart on Decks – Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea (1976):
- Musart on Decks, Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea which at Twenty Meters Becomes the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln (Homage to Rothko), (1976), Triptych Limited edition of 100, Skateboard Deck Sets
- Material: 100% Canadian/American Maple wood.
- Measurements Mellow Concave Skateboard set of 3: (Angles) Approx. 19.25º nose and 18.5º tail with a medium center concave. (Dimensions) 32″H x 8″L x 0.5″W Inches (est.)
- Weight: 8.14 lbs (est)
- Additional Features: Includes Skateboard Deck Display wall mounts.
- Photo Credits: © Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York. Scala / Art Resource, NY.