About Herschel Tote Bag Basquiat – Black – Now’s the Time (1985)
This Herschel Tote Bag Basquiat in Black is part of an exclusive collaboration with the Estate of Jean-Michel Basquiat and it features his iconic work “Now’s the Time” made in 1985. 1980s art icon and native New Yorker Jean-Michel Basquiat was hailed for works that draw on a multivalent range of sources, from Greek, Roman, and African art to jazz, pop culture and his artistic contemporaries. Now’s the Time is an excellent example of Basquiat art in which the street art legend paid tribute to one of his heroes, jazz musician Charlie Parker. Now’s the Time is one of Basquiat’s boldest works, made on a roughly cut plywood disk, and shows a clear reference to Charlie Parker’s song “Now’s the Time”. This stark painting, which abstains from the expressionist fury associated with the artist, is nevertheless one of his most poignant works. Basquiat’s continuous reference to Charlie Parker derives from his desire to pay tribute to important figure he regarded as heroes. As Jean-Michel Basquiat once said, “Since I was seventeen I thought I might be a star. I’d think about all my heroes, Charlie Parker, Jimi Hendrix… I had a romantic feeling about how these people became famous.” Now’s the time to celebrate Jean-Michel Basquiat’s iconic style with this one size only Herschel Tote Bag wherever you go. More details on Herschel Tote Bag Basquiat – Black – Now’s the Time (1985):
- Dimensions: 14″L x 3″W x 18″H inches
- Materials: 100% enzyme washed cotton canvas; Cotton webbing carry handles
- Color: Black
- Additional Features: Internal hanging storage pocket; Tonal classic woven label, embroidered Basquiat Crown logo; “Now’s the Time” screen printed detail (back)
- Artwork: Basquiat, Jean-Michel. Now’s The Time, (1985). Acrylic and oil stick on plywood. 92 1/2 × 92 1/2″. © Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York/ADAGP, Paris, Estate of Jean-Michel Basquiat.
- Herschel Supply Company x Estate of Jean-Michel Basquiat Licensed by Artestar, New York