About Herschel Nineteen Hip Pack Basquiat – Beat Bop (1983)
This Herschel Nineteen Hip Pack Basquiat is part of an exclusive collaboration between Herschel Supply Co. and the Estate of Jean-Michel Basquiat and it features his iconic work “Beat Bop” made in 1983. 1980s art icon and native New Yorker Jean-Michel Basquiat was hailed for works that draw on a multivalent range of sources, from Greek, Roman, and African art to jazz, pop culture and his artistic contemporaries. Before he rose to art stardom, however, his work was already legendary on the streets of downtown NYC. Under the tag SAMO©, Basquiat’s fragmented poetry and poignant symbols established a visual vocabulary that continues to inspire a new generation of graffiti artists today. Basquiat also presented challenges to the institution of Art, along with the graffiti artist Keith Haring, who both served as intermediary artists attempting to bridge the academically-trained artistic production with that of the intuitive and non-traditional graffiti art. Basquiat’s art style was focused on themes such as wealth versus poverty, integration versus segregation, and inner versus outer experience. He was mostly known for his unique combinations of text and images. His pieces were strongly political and direct in their address of power structure and systems of racism. More details on Herschel Nineteen Hip Pack Basquiat – Beat Bop (1983):
- Dimensions: 6″(H) x 10″(W) x 3.25″(D) inches
- Material: 100% Polyester; Tonal black striped fabric liner; Clip-fastened adjustable strap
- Additional Features: Internal mesh storage sleeve; Two-way zippered closure with waterproof trim; Front storage pocket with concealed zipper.
- Classic Woven Label; Embroidered Basquiat Crown logo.
- Designed to be worn around the waist or as a crossbody.
- Basquiat “Beat Bop” all-over screen print