Art Basel Miami Beach 2017
It’s almost that time of the year again! From December 7th to December 10th the world’s largest premier international art fair, Art Basel Miami Beach 2017 is coming to South Florida in its its 16th edition show, showcasing works by major exponents of modern and contemporary art from over 250 of the world’s most important galleries in North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia and Africa.
Art Basel Miami Beach 2017 provides the perfect venue for galleries to sell their work to museum directors, curators, and collectors while also attracting art students and enthusiasts from all over the world. Art Basel hosts its modern and contemporary art fair annually in three major cities: Basel, Switzerland ; Hong Kong, Japan and Miami Beach, United States. In order to promote the highest standards of artworks displayed at the events, Art Basel seeking to support galleries and their essential role in promoting the visual arts, invites some of the world’s leading galleries to participate at the art fain, after extensive review by a committee of prominent gallerists relying their selections on criteria that remains consistent from year to year. The selection committee of Art Basel, in an attempt to promote new emerging artists, encourages the participation of local artists from the city in which the fair is being hosted.
Art Basel Genesis
Art Basel began during the 1970’s with the Swiss gallerists Ernst Beyeler, Trudi Bruckner and Balz Hilt and their first inaugural show held in Basel, Switzerland hosting over 16,000 visitors, over 90 galleries, and 30 publishers from 10 different countries. From its early beginnings, Art Basel demonstrated to be a promising venue where contemporary and modern artists, could meet with gallerists and collectors, museum directors, curators and students from across the globe.
During the 1880’s Art Basel decided to celebrate 150 years of photography by inviting 16 galleries from the international Association of Photography Art Dealers representing the entire history and evolution of photography throughout the years. As a result, Art Basel emerged as the art world’s leading venue to promote photography.
Later during the 1990’s Art Basel debuted at Stadtkino Basel . The Art Film sector of the fair devoted to films made by and about prominent artists in the today’s contemporary art world. During the Early 2000’s Art Basel debuted in Miami Beach and became an immediate success, attracting many visitors from all over the world. It is also in this period that Art Basel launched its Art Unlimited Platform and Art Basel Conversations. Art Basel Conversations hosts panel discussions with important art collectors, artists, art critics, architects, museum directors and biennale curators.
Art Basel Hong Kong
Lastly, during the last decade, Art Basel presented its inaugural show in Hong Kong and its success attracted over 60,000 visitors. Between 2015 and 2016 the Art Basel Initiatives Art Basel Cities and BMW Art Journey emerged for the first time.
Maurizio Cattelan: Art Basel Miami Beach 2016
Looking back to some of the highlights of last year’s Art Basel Miami Beach 2016 , we find at the Art Basel Film Sector, which was curated by Marian Masone, the eccentric Italian contemporary artist Maurizio Cattelan ’s documentary Maurizio Cattelan: Be Right Back.
The film directed by Maura Axelrod features interviews with the artist as well as people in the art world who have worked beside him throughout his artistic career. In case the film was not surrealist enough for one the world’s most prestigious art fair, Fondation Beyeler featured at its booth the installation Maze of Quotes, made by Seletti Wears Toiletpaper: A collaboration between Maurizio Cattelan and Pierpaolo Ferrari’s eccentric Toilet Paper Magazine and the Italian design brands Gufram and Seletti. The most Instagrammed booth of Art Basel 2016, presented Seletti Wears Toiletpaper’s collection of unusual, and exceptional collection of tableware and home décor objects in a site-specific installation of an unconventionally wallpapered and lavishly furnished city apartment.
Seletti wears ToiletPaper
The Maze of Quotes installation brilliantly incorporated the amusing surreal imagery distinctive of the Toiletpaper Magazine in an environment of modern-day consumerism.
Maurizio Catellan comments on the relationship between ToiletPaper and Seletti, “right from the start we liked the idea that ToiletPaper was a label that could be applied to a broad series of objects…Pierpaolo and I are like sadistic scientists: everything that’s around us can be infected by the TP virus, we continually test different samples, and we analyze the results so that ToiletPaper can become a style, and not just a photographic one…Just like ToiletPaper’s images, the collection designed with Seletti has a vintage charm; the tin mugs and plates look like they were just taken out from a fifties’ kitchen pantry, the oilcloths from the drawers of a suburban inn.” Cattelan won’t be at Art Basel Miami Beach 2017.
Picasso at The Galerie Gmurzynska
Some other highlights of Art Basel 2016 included The Galerie Gmurzynska booth designed by Claude Picasso, son of the Cubist modern artist, Pablo Picasso , and curated by the art historian Norman Rosenthal commemorating the centennial of the Russian Revolution.
The exhibition presented works by important Russian avant-garde artists like Alexander Rodchenko, who had a great influence in Contemporary Artists and influential movements like Minimalism. Art Basel Miami also places an interest in Latin American art, including the works of the Argentinian artist Julio Le Parc featured at the Brazilian Nara Roesler Gallery booth presenting his characteristic artistic explorations using light.
Sectors at Art Basel Miami Beach 2017
Focused on presenting to its visitors a wide variety of artistic manifestations that characterize the modern and contemporary arts, Art Basel Miami Beach is divided into Sectors, among the ones featured for this year include:
- Magazines and Conversations.
However, the art fun does not stop there, This year’s Art Basel Miami Beach 2017 will also be hosting different events starting December 5th through December 10th.
Events at Art Basel Miami Beach 2017
- The Margulies Collection Warehouse: (Dec. 5 – Dec 10) 9AM-6PM The Margulies collection will feature works from important pop artists like Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein , Claes Oldenburg, James Rosenquist, Jasper Johns and works by other artists including Anselm Kiefer, Diana Fonseca Quiñones and many more.
- De la Cruz Collection | ‘Force and Form: (Dec. 5 – Dec 9) 9AM-6PM This free access exhibition organized by the De La Cruz Collection at the Miami Design District aims to recognize artists whose works have resulted in important shifts in our visual culture and have confronted us with issues that contributed to our present social fabric.
- Art Basel Public: (Dec. 5- Dec. 10) 11AM-11PM Supported by the MGM Resorts Art & Culture and Organized by the independent curator and art critic Phillip Keiser, the “Territorial” free access public exhibition presents outdoor sculptures, interventions and performances at Collins Park for everyone to enjoy during Art Basel Miami Beach 2017’s Art Week.
- CIFO | ‘Triángulo’: (Dec. 6 –Dec 10) 9AM-6PM Organized by the Cisneros Fontanals Art Foundation (CIFO) is the free access exhibition Triángulo which showcased over 49 artworks from the Ella Fontanals-Cisneros Collection featuring three main representatives of Cuban abstract art: Loló Soldevilla, Sandu Dari, and Carmen Herrera. The exhibit aims to present geometric abstraction as the underlying unity between the works of these three artists whose works serve as the three main vertices of the awaking of geometric abstraction in Cuban art.
- Rubell Family Collection | ‘Still Human’ and ‘Allison Zuckerman: Stranger in Paradise’: (Dec. 6 –Dec 10) 9AM-6PM The artist-in-residence Allison Zuckerman presents at the Rubell Family Foundation’s largest gallery, an exhibition titled “Stranger in Paradise”. The Exhibition explores issues on artificial intelligence, virtual existence, desire, and bioethics.
- Museum of Contemporary Art | Exhibition Opening: (Dec 6- Feb. 11, 2018) 8PM-11PM organized by the Museum of Contemporary Art is the opening of an exhibition “How to Unlock a Portal” featuring the Swedish Artist Jacob Fellander. The exhibition will be available to the audience starting Dec 6, 2017 through February 11, 2018.
- MDC Live Arts | Tania El Khoury: Gardens Speak: (De. 6 – Dec. 9) 9PM- 10PM Organized by the MDC Live Arts at the Gleason Room at the Filmore, comes an interactive sound installation presented by the Lebanese artist Tania El Khoury. The Exhibition consists in audience member laying down in graves and listening to oral retellings by the friends and family members of people who were buried in the Syrian Gardens describing their final moments.
- Art Basel Conversations: (Dec. 7- Dec.10) 3PM-8PM Part of the Conversations sector and held at the Miami Beach Botanical Garden, comes a discussion Panel organized by Mari Spirito, the former director of Protocinema Istanbul/New York, presenting some important figures in the art world discussing their views on producing, collecting and exhibiting art. The Conversations series opening will feature a talk with artist Charles Gaines and Bryan Stevenson
- Audemars Piguet | Multimedia Installation: (Dec. 8 – Dec. 10) 3PM-11PM The Audemars Piguet Art Commission has organized an exhibition featuring the Los Angeles- based artist Lars Jan in collaboration with the guest curator Kathleen Forde. This free access Exhibition consists of a mechanized installation in a two-floored structured at the Miami Beach oceanfront.
- Art Basel Special Film Screening: 8:30PM-10:30PM Also part of the film sector of Art Basel Miami Beach the curator Marian Masone has organized an afternoon devoted to a single showing of a film strongly related to the art world at Colony Theater.
- HistoryMiami Museum | The Miami Art Scene: (Dec. 9-Dec 10) 9:30AM-11:30AM Organized by HistoryMiami and led by the local artist T. Wheeles Castillo is the opportunity for visitors to encounter the works of well known artists like Edward Ruscha, Maya Lin and Claes Oldenburg. Visitors will also be delighted with the guided tour throughout the different stories behind public artworks and places across the city.
- ArtCenter/South Florida | Open Studios & Brunch: 10:30AM-12PM available to visitors with VIP Access are given the opportunity to enjoy a complimentary brunch organized by the ArtCenter/South Florida. Visitors will be able to meet some of the artists, view their recent works and gain more advanced insight into the artistic careers of the respective artists.
- Frost Art Museum | Breakfast in the Park: Hosted by Florida International University’s Patricia and Phillip Frost Art Museum is a free access lecture by the American sculptor Daniel Joseph Martinez, whose works can be found at important institutions throughout the world like the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York, The Orange County Museum in Newport Beach, California and the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston amongst many other.
- Artist Talk | The Artist and The Gallerist: Held at the Miami Beach Botanical Garden Banyan Room is a panel featuring an informal conversation between the director Eduardo Brandão and the artist Dora Longo Bahia on how their working relationship since its beginning, its development through time and projects for the future.
- Johann Joachim Winckelmann regarded as the father of the discipline of Art History, in his masterwork “History of Art in Antiquity” (1964) through his studies on classic Greek artworks argued for the crucial importance a detailed empirical examination in the analysis and appreciation of art. Art Basel Miami Beach 2017.
The world’s most prestigious art fair – Art Basel Miami Beach 2017
In other words, in art appreciation, it is experience and not just words what truly matter. Whether you are a casual enthusiast of art, an art student or you are an experienced art critic, from December 5th to December 10th, the world’s most prestigious art fair, Art Basel Miami Beach 2017 provides the perfect must-see venues for you appreciate both timeless Modern and Contemporary masterpieces and learn about upcoming artists and forerunners in today’s contemporary art world, right from Miami Beach, the brightest city in the Northern American Hemisphere.